Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Return of the Prodigal Son

Here's a post I've been saving for a good time. It's about one of my favorite books, The Return of the Prodigal Son. Henri Nouwen wrote this book in response to the parable of the lost son found in Luke 15:11-31. I encourage you to reread this passage before reading his relections below. Nouwen didn't just reflect on this passage, though. He wrote this work as a written reflection of Rembrandt's pictorial representation of Luke 15:11-31 shown here:





Get a taste of Nouwen's book, The Return of the Prodigal Son, through these two small compilations of quotes from the book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"YOU ARE MY BELOVED, ON YOU MY FAVOR RESTS"

"The Father is always looking for me with outstretched arms to receive me back and whisper again in my ear: 'You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests.'

Somehow I have become deaf to the voice that calls me the Beloved, have left the only place where I can hear that voice, and have gone off desperately hoping that I would find somewhere else what I could no longer find at home. When I forget that voice of the first unconditional love, then innocent suggestions can easily start dominating my life and pull me into the 'distant country'.

Leaving home is, then, much more than an historical event bound to time and place. It is a denial of the spiritual reality that I belong to God with every part of my being, that God holds me safe in an eternal embrace, that I am indeed carved in the palms of God’s hands and hidden in their shadows. Leaving home means ignoring the truth that God has 'fashioned me in secret, moulded me in the depths of the earth and knitted me together in my mother’s womb.' (Psalm 139) Leaving home is living as though I do not yet have a home and must look far and wide to find one.

Home is the center of my being where I can hear the voice that says: 'You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests'—the same voice that gave life to Adam and spoke to Jesus; the same voice that speaks to all the children of God and sets them free to live in the midst of a dark world while remaining in the light. I have heard that voice. It has spoken to me in the past and continued to speak to me now. It is the never-interrupted voice of love speaking from eternity and giving life and love whenever it is heard. When I hear that voice, I know that I am home with God and have nothing to fear.

God has never pulled back his arms, never withheld his blessing, never stopped considering his son the Beloved One. But the Father couldn’t compel his son to stay home. He couldn’t force his love on the Beloved. He had to let him go in freedom, even though he knew the pain it would cause both his son and himself. It was love itself that prevented him from keeping his son home at all cost. It was love itself that allowed him to let his son find his own life, even with the risk of losing it.

Here the mystery of life is unveiled. I am loved so much that I am left free to leave home. The blessing is there from the beginning. I have left it and keep on leaving it. But the Father is always looking for me with outstretched arms to receive me back and whisper again in my ear: 'You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests.'"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GOD WANTS TO FIND ME!"

"For most of my life I have struggled to find God, to know God, to love God. I have failed many times but always tried again, even when I was close to despair.

Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realized that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me. God is looking into the distance for me, trying to find me, and longing to bring me home.

It might sound strange, but God wants to find me as much as, if not more than, I want to find God. I am beginning now to see how radically the character of my spiritual journey will change when I no longer think of God as hiding out and making it as difficult as possible for me to find him, but, instead, as the one who is looking for me while I am doing the hiding. When I look through God’s eyes at my lost self and discover God’s joy at my coming home, then my life may become less anguished and more trusting.

The parable of the prodigal son is a story that speaks about a love that existed before any rejection was possible and that will still be there after all rejections have taken place. It is the first and everlasting love of a God who is Father as well as Mother. It is the fountain of all true human love, even the most limited. Jesus’ whole life and preaching had only one aim: to reveal this inexhaustible, unlimited motherly and fatherly love of his God and to show the way to let that love guide every part of our daily lives. In his painting of the father, Rembrandt offers me a glimpse of that love. It is the love that always welcomes home and wants to celebrate."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nouwen's words beautifully portray the love that our heavenly Father has for each one of us. Don't waste another day: return to the arms of your loving, eternal Father today. He's been wanting to find you for so long. I love Henri Nouwen because in the way he writes I'm drawn more and more to the overwhelming love and acceptance that is freely offered to you and I through Jesus. He helps me appreciate the depth of my Lord's love and acceptance of me, a prodigal. How about you? How does all this come across to you. May we find ourselves today as the beloved of the Father and come out of hiding, realizing that God has been pursuing us for so long. Bless you!

4 comments:

Travis Crow said...

Great post, BJ. God is so good, just waiting for us to return to Him. Why do I ever leave His safety and the shelter that He provides? Thanks for this reminder today. It is truly a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post. I have a tendency to wander in the distant country so often and it is so good to be reminded that God seeks my companionship and constantly waits for my return in order to celebrate with me once again. What long suffering love He possesses, and how much I need to learn to show it in my daily relationships. BTW, Henri Nouwen is a favorite of many in my congregation and I have yet to pick up one of his books. I think I will do so now, andstart with the Return of the Prodigal Son. Once again, thanks!

EuroYank - Virginia Hoge said...

Always nice to see a fellow Illinoisan make good.

Departament de Filosofia said...

I have been listening the amazing book of Henri Nouwen and a little questions have arisen from that: - Why didn’t the Father wait for the return of the elder son to start the feast? I think he, the elder son, deserves at least the same treatment as the younger. - Why didn’t the Father give him a feast? Elder son’s life is full of sacrifice, effort, saddhana… The Father should have poured His grace upon him, but He didn’t do it. And now, the younger son comes back and the Father immediately gives him the gift he haven’t given to the elder one. I cannot understand the behavior of the Father. Of course, it’s me who is wrong, but maybe there is some information or context details that I don’t know. I will be eager to read someone’s point of view about that.