Monday, May 02, 2005

What would YOU do for the big bux?

One of my best friends in the whole world informed me the other day that he wants to sell his body to science. I wanted to make some joke about how he has a lot of body to sell and so he should be able to make a pretty penny, but I swallowed my commentary and just listened for a while. When it comes down to it, my buddy wants to make some money so that he can afford a recording studio and pursue his dream as a singer/songwriter. Which brings me to this post: why does money play such a prominent role in our lives?

I used to be an optimist (and deep down I think I still am), thinking that there has to be a way to love ministry and serving God and still not be dirt poor. (I know that there are very few people in the U.S. that are truly dirt poor, but I think you know what I mean.) Why are people in ministry always broke? I mean, it's not like my buddy wants to make millions so he can buy nitrous for some hot new car he just bought, and flaunt his horsepower in the underground streetracing syndicate. He wants some dinero to pursue his dream. Is that too much to ask?

I hate that money has to be the limiting factor in this scenario. I mean, the talent is there. My friend is one of the most talented songwriters that I have ever heard. We'll be hanging out and he'll pick up his guitar and play something that he wrote that morning in the shower or something that he's been working on. And this is good stuff! The desire is there. He really wants to pursue music because he feels God has gifted him in this way for him to use his gifts for the benefit of the body of Christ. Sound biblical? I think so.... (Check out 1 Corinthians 12. We know that our spiritual gifts have been given for the edification of the body and to draw others to relationship with God.) The call is there. (I know, I know, I'm venturing into some "shaky ground" in the fact that if the call is there, then God will make it happen. And I really do believe that He will. However, I'm referring to the here-and-now of this specific situation and just wanting my friend to have an opportunity to get started on what he feels God is caling him to.) So what's not there? The bux.

Why should money limit the fact that my friend wants to put out a demo CD so that we can get it into the hands of someone that will give him an opportunity to use his giftedness for God's glory? I hate that people in ministry constantly struggle to pursue their dreams because of a lack significant bank. Why does it have to be like that? I just wish this wasn't an issue.

And yet, in reading the Scripture and in having seen people in third-world countries that experientially know a poverty that my friend and I will never know, I trust that God is sovereign over all. I'm not naive enough to think that we have it bad; I've seen people that live in mud huts and don't own shoes and walk for 50 miles over a two day period to sell trinkets that they've made only to receive the equivalent of a few dollars for their wares which keeps them and their family alive for the next month. I know we don't have it bad. But I do wish that money wasn't something that held us back from our dreams of how to serve God more fully. I know that in God's timing my friend will pursue his dream of being a songwriter. I really do believe that. And yet I'm stuck in this in-between of resonating with the frustrations of my friend being held back from pursuing his dreams in the here-and-now.

I don't have time to list all the Scripture that has been buzzing through my head while I write this post, but I will leave you with one. It comes from Luke chapter 6 verses 20-26:

Looking at his disciples, he [Jesus] said:
"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.
"Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven.
For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
"But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.
(I know that Jesus was talking a lot more about the spiritual aspects of being poor in Spirit than about being financially poor, but that's just it, isn't it: God want us to to consider Him as what's most important. Knowing Him is what determines poor and rich, and the rest will happen according to His will and in His timing. I guess I just wish that my friend wasn't talking about selling his body to science in order to fulfill his dream of serving God through his music. I trust God for my financial future and for my friend's. I just wish that a few (thousand) bux wasn't the thing holding him back at this point in his life.)

What do you think about all this?

3 comments:

whaaaat! said...

Good thought provoking post with honest questions and answers. There are also a lot of verses that talk about asking and receiving and I think that if we are asking in line with what God desires, He will provide.

Anonymous said...

I love you, BJ! The Lord is my delight, and when I delight in him, I get what I desire for. Thanks for sharing yourself and your journey, for God is at work in these conversations drawing out the things of Jesus in us.

p.s. I'm learning to walk by faith and not in the financial plenty of scientific bodily research. Peace to you.

Bar L. said...

Excellent, thought-provoking post. I have had similar questions. Here is something I deal with every single day at my job (I work for a ministry but get a paycheck):

My boss does NOT get a paycheck. He has to raise his own financial support to be in this ministry. He has a family of five and I watch them struggle to make ends meet. He spends almost as much time trying to raise funds as he does doing his "real job".

When I question his sanity, he reminds me that it's a CALLING. That God called him to do this, to trust him for his income. I personally let out a huge sigh of relief that God has not called me to that!

I hate money sometimes. It really does mess up our plans, even our most humble plans that involve serving the Lord and others. But it's a fact of life.

Your friend sounds like an incredibly talented guy. Maybe I will get rich some day and can support his music career since I LOVE music!!!

Layla (aka Wellwoman)