Thursday, June 02, 2005

Spirit-Creatures

I was looking back over a book I started reading a few months ago, and came across some blog-worthy material. Here's the quote from Bill Gillham's book, Lifetime Guarantee:

The Scriptures also teach that God is spirit and that humanity is made in His image. Therefore, we are spirit-beings. We are not physical creatures with spirits; we are spirit-creatures with bodies.

I love this distinction! "We are not physical creatures with spirits; we are spirit-creatures with bodies." I've never heard it stated so plainly before, yet it's so true. I mean, why were you and I created? It wasn't to fulfill the infamous bumper sticker, "He who dies with the most toys wins." It wasn't for fame or glory or to leave a legacy or have a family, though there's nothing inherently wrong with those things in and of themselves (as long as they're not our desire). You and I were created to glorify God. Colossians 1:16 reads, "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him." All things were created by Him! That means you and me and the neighbor down the street who has no clue that this is true! Everyone you run into on a daily basis was created for God, whether they know it or not.

So, in knowing that we were created for Him, it's awesome to think about being spirit-creatures first. I mean, being a male, living in such a sex-crazed culture, and counseling many students over the past few years, I can recall myself thinking and even speaking the words, "I'm a physical creature" or "You're a physical person; God created you that way." And while my intentions were good, and proved a point in the all-too-familiar daily battle that we face to be pure in our thoughts and actions, I really like the idea that my focus shouldn't be on the physical. I know what my flesh feels! I don't need any encouragement there (and some days that is such an understatement). [sigh] What I do need to be reminded is that I've been created as a spirit-creature, to glorify God with who I am and how I live. Now, I'm gonna be frank and say that I hope that one day God will allow me the opportunity to glorify Him through having a family of my own: a wife, a few munchkins--a family. But, no matter if or when that actually happens (and I really hope it does), I need to remember that I'm still a spirit-creature now. No matter how all-consuming the flesh or wants or desires may feel at the moment, the reality is that I'm a spirit-creature first. That is my ultimate calling (and yours, whether you believe it or not). We were first created for Him!! So, if He sees fit to have me in this place in my life, then so be it. If He sees fit to bring a wonderful woman into my life someday (fingers crossed, saying prayers...haha), then so be it. But I want so badly to live as a spirit creature today! Here's a perfect passage to leave you with from Romans 13:8-14.

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

May we be wrapped in the Lord as we seek to live as spirit-creatures today! Bless you!

7 comments:

Bar L. said...

Hello BJ!

Great post and a very good book! I read it a few years ago but really need to pick it up again with fresh eyes because something he said in the book bothered me. I may have interpreted it wrong. I'd like your view on it...it's the part where he talks about the OT verses the NT and kind of says it doesn't matter what the OT or the gospels say, it's only the words in the Epistles that really matter to present day Believers. Maybe I dreamed it....but please let me know what you think.

Blessings to you,
Layla

kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said...

Your passion for God totally inspires me. I hope to and aim that as I grow in God I will become more passionate. I enjoy reading your blog. It’s so REAL! I liked your blog so much that I added you to my blog roll. I hope you don’t mind. Thanks again and God Bless :o)

Anonymous said...

hi! interesting stuff. this whole idea of "spirit-first" is actually pretty close to the gnostic concept, where they believed that we were sparks of spirit trapped in matter. the whole thing was a big theological issue in the early church though, mainly in terms of whether jesus himself was more god or more man. both sides argued for a long time, and they finally agreed on the doctrine of the trinity where jesus is equally both mand and god, and is also co-equal with the father and the spirit. what an interesting debate!

Anonymous said...

Were you homeschooled? I was homeschooled.

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BJ said...

Layla--I'll let you know if I read anything "sketchy". I haven't yet.

Kristy--Thanks for your encouragement. I don't mind at all, and I hope you come back often to add to our conversations.

Tim--I'm not referring to Jesus as more Spirit than man, I'm referring to the priority with which we should view ourselves as Spirit-creatures. Rather than looking at our flesh, we should view ourselves as God's. Thanks for stopping and sharing!

Sparkling--I'll check out your site too. Thanks for stopping. Bless you!

Natalie--I was not homeschooled but many of my relatives and students in my ministry have been. I think there are a lot of wonderful things that can come out of home schooling. Hope to see you back again!

Jennifer--Who am I? Now that's a pretty philosophical question. Where did I come from? Well, you're gonna have to talk to your mom for the birds and the bees talk. I'm not married. Thanks for your kind words. I hope and pray that God will bless me with a beautiful, God-lovin' woman. Thanks for reminding me there's still hope. :)

Jenn said...

thanks for your comment bj. i am really, really into your blog. you have posed, answered, elaborated and with a knowledgeable yet child-like innocence completely entertained me! you are VERY deep to me. LOL! with that said... after watching the movie "the passion" i have become obsessed with our jewish roots. i kind of got into a heated discussion with an agnostic woman at work about how, and i quote her, "that movie was SO AGAINST THE JEWS!" i NEVER got the whole antisematic thing regarding this movie. just flat out did not get it! wasn't jesus a jew? didn't the romans crucify him? who said the jews crucified him? it was the romans! well, pretty much. anyway, why and how is it antisematic? i too, question everything. it is annoying to my friends and family and can be perceived as doubt or obnoxious behavior but MY FATHER loves having long conversations with me and He answers EVERY question of mine. He entices me to ask more.
with that said, i was HUNGRY for information regarding our jewish history. i searched for it and i have participated in jewish dance workshops and feasts and worship ceremonies with a huge christian church that celebrates our jewish heritage. it brought me closer to God. i think it should be mandatory for new and old christians to study the roots of our faith. study it just as we study the bible. it has given me a new understanding of the bible, too! love it, love it, love it!
it is rich! i imagine Jesus as a jew and going through the life, ceremonies and rituals. i will post more on it later, so stay tuned!