Friday, June 17, 2005

The Nature of Man

At the very core of our nature, are we good or sinful?

Who cares? Why do we need to know that? Well…I think it makes a big difference in our perspective on life. For example…if we assert that all people are sinful by nature, then in effect we are saying that we are justified by living sinfully because that is our nature. If that were true, why then would Christ have had to come to Earth? Moreover, why would we want to accept Christ thereby living contrary to the sinful nature within us? However, if we assert that we are good by nature yet sinful in nature, then we see the importance of the salvific work of Christ. It actually would make more sense if we said we are good by nature and sinful in our humanness. I think it is correct to make the claim that we only have one nature within us. We were created in the image of God, we just don’t always live like that—and some people don’t ever accept that reality. Christ came to “save us” from sin and purposeless living and to help us reclaim the nature that God gave to humans when he began with Adam so long ago. Do you believe this? I mean, I know it's hard to believe when we often live so contrary to this reality, but I cling to this reality as it gives me a new outlook on life.

Jesus' grace still amazes me. It’s hard for me to grasp that Jesus came to Earth as a man, died for my sins, and rose from the dead for the sole purpose of glorifying His Father, thus giving me the ability to be re-identified with God ‘in’ my nature. Yes, I am sinful in my nature—God help me, I am sinful. However, I know that I am identified with Christ and that as a result of his salvific work on the cross, I am purified, I am a child of God, I am loved, I am holy and blameless in his sight, I am predestined, and on and on (Ephesians 1:3-9 and 1 John 3:1-3). When God looks at me, he doesn’t see me; he sees Jesus! I no longer have to be identified with sin or bound by it. Rather, I am alive with Christ and free from my bondage, and all through the person Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for me. Thanks be to God! Jesus is the restorer of my connection with the Creator, the God of my forefathers. What an incredible act of grace it was for God to send Jesus for me, perhaps the worst of sinners, AND FOR YOU, and He did it all because He loves us. Wow! Thank you, Father, for giving up your only Son that I might have life and the opportunity to know you in a real way. For that I am forever grateful! May you be drawn more fully today to the re-identification that you have with your Lord through Jesus' sacrifice for you.

7 comments:

That Girl said...

Hi there! first time here...im saved and unfortunately put in a place where its very hard to find friends who are real saved christians...
nice place.. will come by often

:)

rob said...

DUDE, where'd you go? it's been a week!! looking for my daily blessing :)

loren said...

Hi BJ,

I noticed you have an eye for good graphics. Have you ever looked at the work of Gustave Dore? Here's a link if you're interested:

http://myweb.lmu.edu/fjust/Dore.htm

p.s. I found your blog through a random search, nice blogging!

Jenn said...

another fantastic blog. keep it up. you should run for president!

Travis Crow said...

Great post. It is inspiring to read your words. You get it. Keep it up. I love your openness.

Eve said...

Man is naturally good because we were born in the image of God. To say otherwise would day that sin is natural to God as well. It was only with the eating from the tree of knowledge did we gain the hereditary punishment of death and sin. Jesus's death was a way for us to be redeemed. He was willing to take the burden of our sin. I think that we are by nature good, but we are still burdened by the knowledge from Original Sin. Man is free to choose his own path.

tonymyles said...

I'm with you... the biggest problem is not that we sin but that we are spiritually dead and don't even know we sin.