Saturday, April 30, 2005

Home Alone

No this isn't a commentary on McCauley Caulkin's only real movie. Actually it's a pretty all-encompassing description of the events of my entire weekend. Can you say lame? ...yes, that's me this weekend! Do I have friends? I think so, but I can't be sure. They're obviously not here with me which means that they're either out having fun or they lead equally lame lives. Either way doesn't say anything good about me. HA! (I can only laugh cuz I have no explanation at all for my lack of anything at all to do for the past two nights.) It's been months--many many months--since I didn't do a single thing on a Friday or Saturday night. I don't know how my life got so boring all of a sudden, but I thought I'd share it with you, so that you too would know how pathetic I am. Oh boy....

Actually, about the only redeeming factor of such a lame weekend is that no matter how dull my life gets, I'm really ok. That's not because I'm a real man and can endure being alone and blah blah. It's actually just because nothing can touch my identity in Christ; nothing can change the way that He feels about me. Certainly there are many people that will think I'm lame for not having anyone to go out with all weekend (and they'd be right), but the best part is that what they think doesn't really matter. I mean, yes, it is nice to be liked and even, dare I even suggest, desired by another. But when it comes down to it, I've been desired by the only one that really matters: Jesus. Jesus desires a relationship with you and me even more than I selfishly wish I would have done something this weekend thus helping me to not appear so incredibly pathetic. He desires us.

I'm sure many of you know John Piper. Piper has written many brilliant books, one of which is called Desiring God. I've actually yet to read all of it not for lack of quality but because I never seem to make it through any books in their entirety, at least not for a long while. I bring up Piper's book because I want you to consider the flip side of the title. Instead of you and I (or John Piper) writing a book called Desiring God, consider if you and I were the title of a famous book written by our LORD. Desiring _______ (fill in your name) written by Jesus. Powerful thought, isn't it?! I think the best part of it is that Jesus thinks that His "book" about you is so great...His favorite work. I love it!!!

I don't know...maybe you're not as taken by that concept as I am, but I cling to the fact that God has redeemed me and called me by name. He has made what seems to be a pathetic life, judging from the lack of any significant happening the past two nights, so incredibly unpathetic. (I know I just invented a new word. Just roll with it....) My identity cannot be tainted by a years worth of uneventful weekends, though my social skills would undoubtedly suffer from such a curse. I have been rooted in Jesus and sealed with the Holy Spirit's presence in my life. HA! So I'm not loser! lol ...except that I'm still home alone and wishing that something was going on. At least I'm spending my time home alone pondering the amazing nature of our LORD. I hope your weekend was more eventful than mine, but most of all I hope you know how much God desires you...no matter how undesireable and pathetic you feel. God desires you! Take one second and think about it (or if you're schedule is as free as mine has been, take a short while). God desires you! Amazing, isn't it?!

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

BJ,

WOW! I love the concept...it's powerful! "Desiring Layla" by Jesus. Talk about feeling humbled and grateful and awed!

As for your lame weekend...listen my young friend, a day will come when you will long for a quiet weekend with no agenda. Trust me on this :)

Layla