Thursday, August 25, 2005

Fresh Starts

Why is it that though God's mercies are new every morning we spend many mornings (days, nights, you fill in the blank) beating ourselves up about bad choices, lost opportunities, and life that we thought would go differently?

I spent the night tonight with my brother, after of course doing a little work and running errands with my dear friend. (I had to put in the work line just in case my boss ever reads my blog. hehe) One year ago yesterday, August 24th, my brother's best friend died in a motorcycle accident. I spent the night at his deceased friend's mom's house with my brother--my best friend. My brother would be the first to tell you that he hasn't had a morning in the past year that he didn't wake up feeling pain from the loss of his best friend. And yet, God's mercies are new every morning, right? Hmmm....

Don't read this to think that I've jumped off the deep end into a wave of cynicism and criticism that questions the very faith in which I've placed my life and my hope and my family. Do know that I trust God at His Word in a very serious way. I'm just merely asking questions about the human condition and life in general. Okay?

I mentioned in my last post, which was a while ago...(again sorry I haven't been keeping up all that well), that I've been thinking a lot about fresh starts. And I guess, today, I wish that my brother could have one. And he would wish (and I do too) that his best friend could have one.

So as I lay here with my laptop, I guess I'm stuck pondering the meaning of a fresh start. The "start" part is easy, it's a beginning. "Fresh" on the other hand isn't so easy. Fresh starts definitely are not fresh as in new. My brother will never get a new start at life. He will never start over and try again. He will never get the opportunity to be with his best friend again. This is no do-over. So if fresh isn't new, then what is it? I guess a fresh start might better be defined as a different start. A different beginning. Thought it isn't new as in do-over, it is different.

So can I hope for a fresh start for my brother? Yes. I can hope that he can have a different start every morning that he wakes up and faces the option to take another run at life or to give up and give in. I pray for that fresh start for him tomorrow as the reality of his loss weighs more than a Mack truck on his shoulders. As he sleeps now, not ten feet from me, I know that his waking day tomorrow will be his toughest day yet. So yes, I pray for a fresh start tomorrow. Please pray that with me.

As for me, my fresh start has found footing in a new job, which I'm very excited about (except for the fact that I'm often distant from those people that I love...like my brother).

And I pray for you, that no matter what poor choices you've made, no matter how you've missed an opportunity today or yesterday, no matter how life has thrown you the fiercest curveball you've ever faced, that you would find the strength of your fresh start in the person of Jesus who "makes all things new". Now that is truly the freshest of starts, wouldn't you say?!

8 comments:

Bar L. said...

Yes, I would say that.

You showed up just in time because I am needing a fresh start in my thinking and responding.

I am glad to hear you like your job so much. You are a gem.

Brandy Brow said...

Excellent post. I just happened to find your blog today and I'm glad I did. I'm adding you to my list of blogs I read.

Fresh starts. It coincides with what God has been reminding me of a lot lately--that God's mercies are new every morning. When I make a mistake, I can make a fresh start the very next minute.

I wish God's best for you, and I join you in prayer for that fresh start for your brother.

Keep looking to Him,

Brandy of The Building Brows blog

loren said...

Hi BJ,

I saw in your profile that you are interested in discipleship. Several of us have been building a free course on line as a group effort, and it is nearing the halfway point. It was meant for people who have just come to the Lord but won't yet come to church. It gives them someplace to go in the meantime.

The course is designed to address the subjects that the Bible itself calls 'basic', and to do so with a very intentional focus on Jesus. The idea is promote a relationship with Him instead of a religiosity.

Please check out an article or two and pray about it, and if you feel the Lord saying so, feel free to come and help us build. We'd appreciate a minister's perspective.

Bar L. said...

I miss you darn it.

Zareba said...

Vewry interesting adn eclectic. I enjoyed.

...Z

Bar L. said...

Merry Christmas, Friend.

kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said...

good to see you blogged. I was about to delete your blog off my blogroll thinking you probably dropped out of the blog world and that you probably still hadn't posted in a really long time. Nice surpise. Great post. God Bless!

Unknown said...

Awesome Blog!!